Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fathers and Daughters: Father-Daughter Purity Ball

I think the fact that Time wrote about this, and handled it in a fair manner, which is more than I expected is great. Yeah, some people think its cheesy, but so what? I get the message, and I think its great to see fathers taking an active role in their daughters emotional, mental and most importantly spiritual development. Side note: I do think 4 years old is a bit young to fully understand the meaning behind it, but I guess its sweet gesture -- well, sort of. I also did a search on google and the Purity Ball has been covered by the New York Times and also has its own website

While reading this, a few things came to mind:
1. Why don't I see/hear more about these things happening with black teen girls or other minority populations in this country for that matter?

2. The bonding that occurs between the fathers and daughters here speaks VOLUMES!! Its sad that in our culture today, seeing a father and daughter bond brings to minds words like "creepy" and "perverted" instead of "protection" and "affirmation". I've said several times to people in my "real life" that the absence of the father in a home is one of the most diabolical attacks of the enemy that has had far-reaching consequences -- more than anyone realizes. (this reminds me that I must write an article exploring this a little more)

3. I don't mind the focus on girls, BUT there is a double standard in society for the expression and "exploration" of one's sexuality. Can someone please start a purity ball for boys? Yeah, I know, it sounds cheesy -- but I think if one were to gather a group of teenagers, male and female, what's really at the heart of preserving sexual purity and the far-reaching consequences of throwing it away, the message would get across -- it would be a start in undoing the messed-up, self-centered, sex-crazed messages that kids get ingrained in their souls from the time they are small children. More than anything else though, the desire to remain pure before God shouldn't be an "outward" act to say I'm a Christian, but rather should come as a result of heart that is sold-out and a desire to please God.
----------------
Now playing on Windows Media Player: Rick Pino - The Anthem
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Find me on Facebook!

Lorraine May Chidolue's Facebook profile